Name: Insoo Kang
Citizenship: U. S. A.
Section of Rheumatology S541C TAC
Department of Internal Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
300 Cedar Street
New Haven, CT 05620 USA
Tel: 203) 785-7063, 6678 (direct)
Fax: 203) 785-7053
March 1986 - February 1990 Hallym University College of Medicine, South Korea: M.D. (Valedictorian)
March 1984 - February 1986 Hallym University Pre-med, South Korea
July 1994 - June 1997 Postdoctoral Fellow in Rheumatology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut
June 1991 - July 1994 Medical Intern and Resident, Yale University affiliated program at the Hospital of St. Raphael, New Haven, Connecticut
July 2005 - Present Associate Professor of Medicine, Section of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut
July 2004 - June 2008 Program Director, Yale University Investigative Rheumatology Fellowship Program
July 1999 - June 2005 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Section of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut
September 1998 - June 1999 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Section of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Hallym University Kang Dong Sacred Heart Hospital, Seoul, South Korea
September 1997 - August 1998 Full-time Instructor of Medicine, Section of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Hallym University Kang Dong Sacred Heart Hospital, Seoul, South Korea
September 2004 Clinical Scientist Development Award of the NIH (K08)
July 2002 Arthritis Investigator Award of the American College of Rheumatology
and Arthritis Foundation.
July 2002 Research Scholarship of the Hartford Foundation Center for Excellence in Aging
October 1997 Senior Rheumatology Fellow Award of the American College of Rheumatology
July 1995 Physician-Scientist Development Award of Arthritis Foundation
February 1990 President’s Award of Hallym University for Valedictorian
March 1988 Gochon Scholarship for Academic Excellence (full scholarship for 2 years)
February 1998 Korean Board of Internal Medicine
November 1996 American Board of Internal Medicine, Rheumatology (recertified 2006)
August 1994 American Board of Internal medicine (recertified 2004)
California Medical License: A52840
Connecticut Medical License: 034062
Korea Medical License: 41468
Fellow Member of the American College of Rheumatology (FACR)
Member of the American Association of Immunologists
Member of the Korean Association of Internal Medicine
Member of the Korean Medical Association
Clinical and Educational Activities
Attending Physician, General Medicine Service at VA CT Health Care System West Haven Campus
Attending Physician, Rheumatology Consult Service at Yale New Have Hospital
Attending Physician, Rheumatology Consult Service at VA CT Health Care System West Haven Campus
Core Teaching Faculty, Yale Primary Care Center Rheumatology Fellows’ Clinic
Core Teaching Faculty, VA CT Health Care System West Haven Campus Rheumatology Fellows’ Clinic
Lectures, Courses, Web-based Education
2013: Biomedical Translational Research Institute, Jinan University, Guangzhou, China
2013: Pfizer, Science and Technology, Cambridge, MA
2013: UCLA, Rheumatology Grand Round, Los Angeles, CA
2013: Hospital for Special Surgery, Rheumatology Grand Round, New York, NY
2013: Emory University, Division of Rheumatology, Atlanta, GA
2012: Sungkyungwan University, Suwon, South Korea
2012: Gachon University Gil Hosptial, Incheon, South Korea
2012: University of Connecticut Department of Nutritional Science, Storrs, CT
2012: Gwangjoo Institute of Technology and Science (GIST), Gwangjoo, South Korea,
2012: Yale Human Translational Immunology Annual Retreat, New Haven, CT
2012: Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
2011: 2011 International Meeting of the Federation of Korean Microbiological Societies.
2011: Postech (Pohang) University, Pohang, South Korea
2011: Seoul National University Rheumatology Research Conference, Seoul, Korea.
2010: Wuhan University Autoimmunity Center, Wuhan, China (3/10/2010)
2010: Henry Kunkel Society Annual Meeting, New York, New York (4/22/2010)
2009: Yeung Nam University Vascular Aging and Disease Symposium, Daegu, South Korea 2009: Rheumatology Conference, Chung Nam National University, South Korea (9/24/2009)
2009: Yale Human Translational Immunology Annual Retreat, West Haven, USA (11/2/2009)
2009: Immunology Research Conference at Seoul National University School of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
2009: Rheumatology Research Seminar at Catholic University Kang-Nam St. Mary Hospital, Seoul, South Korea
2009: Research Conference at Kunkuk University School of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea 2009: Research Seminar at Yeung Nam University School of Medicine, Daegu, South Korea
2009: Rheumatology Conference at Pusan University School of Medicine, Pusan, South Korea
2008: Henry Kunkel Society Annual Scientific Meeting, St. Margarita Ligure, Italy.
2008: International Rheumatology Symposium, Seoul, South Korea
2008: Research Seminar, Lee Gil Ya Cancer and Diabetes Center, Gachon University, Incheon, South Korea
2008: Special Research Lecture, Nankai University, Tianjin, China
2008: Internal Medicine Research Conference, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
2007: Internal Medicine Research Conference at Hallym University Sacred Hear Hospital, Pyung Chon, South Korea
2007: Rheumatology Research Seminar at Catholic University Kang-Nam St. Mary Hospital, Seoul, South Korea
2007: Korean Internal Medicine Society Semiannual Scientific Meeting, Seoul, South Korea
2007: Hallym University Hospital “Aging and Memory T cells” Anyang, South Korea.
2007: Korean Internal Medicine Society Annual Scientific Meeting “Aging and Immunity: a Story on T cells” Seoul, South Korea.
2007: Catholic University Kang-Nam St. Mary Hospital “Aging and Immunity” Seoul, South Korea
2007: St. Vincent Hospital Noon Conference “Rheumatoid variants” Bridgeport, CT.
2007: Arthritis Foundation National Research Seminar “The role of DNA methylation in regulating IL-7 receptor alpha gene expression in human T cells” Atlanta, GA.
2006: Aging Research in Immunology “Mechanisms and implications of expansion of IL-7Ralow CD45RA+ effector memory CD8+ T cells with aging” Paris, France
2006: UCLA Translational Immunology Seminar “IL-7Ra and Human T cells, Los Angeles, CA.
2006: UCLA Rheumatology Research Conference “Regulatory T cells and Aging” Los Angeles, CA.
2006: Research Seminar at Rhode Island Hospital/Brown Medical School “Aging and cytokine-mediated CD8+ T cell homeostasis in humans” Providence, RI.
2006: UCLA-Harbor Hospital Noon Conference “Aging, cytokines and human CD8+ T cell homeostasis” Torrance, CA.
2006: UCLA Rheumatology Grand Round “Cytokine-mediated CD8+ T cell homeostasis in humans” Los Angeles, CA.
2005: Emory University Vaccine Center “Aging, T cells and the IL-7 receptor: Is IL-7 a potential remedy for aged T cells?” Atlanta, GA.
2005: UCLA Rheumatology Research Seminar “EBV and lupus T cells: IFN- the missing link?” Los Angeles, CA.
2005: UCLA Translational Immunology Seminar “Aging, T cells and the IL-7 receptor: Is IL-7 the Fountain of Youth for T cells?” Los Angeles, CA.
2004: University of Virginia Specialized Center of Research on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Symposium “Alteration in the frequency and p-ERK regulation in CD4+ T cell subsets in SLE”
2004: New England Biomedical Society Research Meeting “T cells and Aging” Boston, MA.
2003: Arthritis Foundation National Research Seminar “Epstein-Barr virus and SLE” Key Stone, CO.
2003: The 5th Korea-Japan Combined Meeting of Rheumatology “Defective control of EBV infection in SLE” Seoul, Korea
2003: Catholic University Internal Medicine Conference “Infectious complications of SLE” Seoul, Korea
2003: Seoul National University Rheumatology Research Conference “Epstein-Barr virus and SLE” Seoul, Korea.
1999 - present: Reviewer for the Journal of Experimental Medicine, the Journal of Immunology, Arthritis & Rheumatism, Journal of Rheumatology, Journal of Clinical Immunology, Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, Aging Cell, Vaccine, Clinical and Experimental Immunology and the European Journal of Cancer.
2011-present: Member of the ACR Committee on Journal Publications
2013-present: Advisory Editor, Arthritis and Rheumatism
2013-present: Associate Editor, the Journal of Immunology
1999 – present: Ad Hoc Study Section Member for NIH grants (ODCS, NIGMS ZGM1, ZAT1 SM (25), NIAMS Centers of Research Translation (P50)); Department of Defense Research Grant Reviewer; Arthritis Foundation Grant Reviewer; American Federation for Aging Research Grant Reviewer; University of Michigan Pepper Center Grant Reviewer
Other Professional Service
2009 – present: Steering Committee Member of Autoimmunity Centers for Excellence (ACE, joint steering committee of nine ACE in the US)
2009 – present: Member of National Scientific Advisory Board of the American Federation for Aging Research.
Yale University Service
2007: DANA2 New Clinic Building Committee
2005 – 2008: Subspecialty Program Directors Committee
2010 – 2011: Internal Medicine Resident Interview Committee
1. Insoo Kang, S. W. Barthold, D. H. Persing, and L. K. Bockenstedt. 1997. T helper cell cytokines in the early evolution of murine lyme arthritis. Infect. Immun. 65:8:3107-3111.
2. Insoo Kang, and G. Hutchinson. 1997. Central nervous system vasculitis in systemic lupus erythematosus: A case successfully treated with cyclophosphamide and steroids. J. Clin. Rheumatol. 3:6:349-352
3. Marie-Claude Shanalfelt, I. Kang, S. W. Barthold, and L. K. Bockenstedt. 1998. Modulation of murine lyme borreliosis by interruption of the B7/CD28 T cell costimulatory pathway. Infect. Immun. 66:1266-271
4. Insoo Kang. 1998. Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs. Diagno. Treat. 18:7:786-794.
5. Jong Hyoung Choi, D. H. Kim, S. H. Park, W. G. Shin, J. H. Lee and I. Kang. 1999. A case of Polyarteritis Nodosa Successfully Treated with Deflazacort. Korean J. Rheumatol 6:3:283-286.
6. Insoo Kang* and S. W. Han. 2000. Anserine bursitis in patients with knee osteoarthritis: its relation to age, sex, and the radiographic severity of osteoarthritis and response to therapies. South. Med J. 93:2:207-209. (*Corresponding Author)
7. Jong Hyeok Kim, H. Y. Kim, I. Kang, Y. B. Kim, C. K. Park, J.Y. Yoo and S. T. Kim. 2000. A case of Primary Hepatic Lymphoma with Hepatitis C Liver Cirrhosis. Ame. J. Gastroenterol. 95:9:2377-2380.
8. Insoo Kang*, W. W. Lee, and Y. S. Kim. 2000. Modulation of CIA by IL-4 and dexamethasone: The synergistic effect of IL-4 and dexamethasone on the resolution of collagen-induced arthritis. Immunopharm 49:317-324. (*Corresponding Author)
9. Insoo Kang. 2000. Anti-TNF-a Therapy for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Korean J. Rheumatol 7:2:105-111.
10. George Vratsanos, I. Kang and J. Craft. 2001. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. in Samter’s Immunologic Disease 6th Ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
11. Linda K. Bockenstedt, I. Kang, M-C. Shanafelt, H. Kumar, M. Campbell, D. Persing, A. Hayday, and S. W. Barthold. 2001 CD4+ T helper 1 cells facilitate regression of murine Lyme carditis. Infect. Immun. 69:9:5264-9.
12. Insoo Kang* and Park, S.H. 2003. Infectious complications in SLE after immunosuppresive therapies. Curr Opin Rheumatol 15:528-34. (*Corresponding Author)
13. Insoo Kang, T. Quan, H. Nolasco, S.H. Park, M.S. Hong, G.J. Howe and J. Craft. 2004. Defective control of latent EBV infection in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. J. Immunol. 172:1287-94.
14. Insoo Kang*, R. Siperstein, T. Quan and M.L. Breitenstein. 2004. Utility of age, gender and ANA titer and pattern as predictors of anti-ENA and -dsDNA antibodies. Clin. Rheumatol. 23:509-515. (*Corresponding Author).
15. Meng Pan, I. Kang, J. Craft and Z. Yin. 2004. Resistance to development of collagen-induced arthritis in C57BL/6 mice is due to a defect in secondary, but not primary, immune response. J. Clin. Immunol. 24:481-491.
16. Myung Sun Hong, J.M. Dan, J.Y. Choi and I. Kang. 2004. Age-associated changes in the frequency of naïve, memory and effector CD8+ T cells. Mech. Age. Dev. 125:615-618.
17. Insoo Kang*, M.S. Hong, H. Nolasco, S.H. Park, J.M. Dan, J.Y. Choi and J. Craft. 2004. Age-associated change in the frequency of memory CD4+ T cells impairs long-term CD4+ T cell responses to influenza vaccine. J. Immunol. 173:673-681. (*Corresponding Author)
18. Xiao-bo Zhong, L. Leng, A. Beitin, R. Chen, C. McDonald, B.H., R.D. Jenison, I. Kang, S.H. Park, A. Lee, P. Gregersen, P. Thuma, P. Bray-Ward, D.C. Ward, and R. Bucala. 2005. Simultaneous detection of microsatellite repeats and SNPs in the macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) gene by thin-film biosensor chips and application to rural field studies. Nucleic Acids Res. 33: e121
19. Insoo Kang and J. Craft. The Immunology of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in the Autoimmune Diseases 4th Ed. London: Elsevier.
20. Hang-Rae Kim, M.S. Hong, J.M. Dan and I. Kang. 2006. Altered IL-7Ra expression with aging and the potential implications of IL-7 therapy on CD8+ T cell immune responses. Blood. 107:2855-2862. (accompanied by commentary (Inside Blood): Terry Fry. 2006. IL-7 comes of age. Blood 107:2587-88)
21. Hak-Yong Lee, H.S. Jeon, E.K. Song, M.K. Han, S.I. Park, S.I. Lee, H.J. Yun, J.R. Kim, J.S. Kim, Y.C. Lee, S.I. Kim, H.R. Kim, J.Y. Choi, I. Kang, H.Y. Kim, W.H. Yoo. 2006. CD40 ligation of rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts regulates RANKL-mediated osteoclastogenesis: evidence of NF-kappaB-dependent, CD40-mediated bone destruction in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 54:1747-1758.
22. Insoo Kang and J. Craft. Mechanisms in Autoimmune Diseases. Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine 7th Edition. NY. McGraw-Hill. In Press.
23. Hae-Rim Kim, M.K. Park, M.L. Cho, C.H. Yoon, S.H. Lee, S.H. Park, L. Leng, R. Bucala, I. Kang, J.S. Choe, H.Y. Kim. 2007. Macrophage Migration Inhibitory Factor (MIF) Up-regulates Angiogenic Factors and Correlates with Clinical Parameters in Rheumatoid Arthritis. J. Rheumatol. 34:927-936
24. Hang-Rae Kim, K.A. Hwang and I. Kang. 2007. The role of DNA methylation in differentially regulating IL-7Ra expression in human T cells. J. Immunol. 178:5473-9
25. Hang-Rae Kim*, K.A. Hwang* and I. Kang. 2007. Dual roles of IL-15 in maintaining IL-7R alpha low CCR7- memory CD8+ T cells in humans via recovering the PI3K/AKT pathway. J. Immunol. 179:6734-6740 (cited in “IN THIS ISSUE” in the same issue). * contributed equally to this work.
26. Hang-Rae Kim, K.A. Hwang, S.H. Park and I. Kang. 2008. IL-7 and IL-15: Biology and roles in T-cell immunity in health and disease. Critical Rev. Immunol. 28:325–339
27. Kyung-A Hwang, H.R. Kim, S.H. Lee, S.W. Kang and I. Kang. 2009. Aging and human CD4+ regulatory T cells. Mech. Age Dev. 130:509–517
28. Won-Woo Lee, S.W. Kang, J. Choi, S.H. Lee, K. Shah, E. E. Eynon, R. A. Flavell and I. Kang. Regulating human Th17 cells via differential expression of IL-1 receptor. 2010. Blood. 115:530-40 (cited as a Must Read paper in Faculty of 1000 Biology).
29. Kamini Shah, W.W. Lee, S.W. Kang, S.H. Kim, S.H. Lee, J. Craft and I. Kang. Dysregulated Balance of Th17 and Th1 cells in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. 2010. Arthritis Res Ther. 24;12(2):R53
30. Jin Soo Lee, W.W. Lee, S.H. Kim, N.E. Lee, Y. Kang, M.S. Shin, S.W. Kang and I. Kang Age-associated alteration in naïve and memory Th17 cell response in humans.. 2011. Clinical Immunol. 140:84-91.
31. Min Sun Shin, N.E. Lee and I. Kang. Effector T-cell subsets in systemic lupus erythematosus: update focusing on Th17 cells. 2011. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 23:444-8.
32. Naeun Lee, M.S. Shin and I. Kang. T-cell biology in aging, with a focus on lung disease. 2012. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 67:254-63.
33. Won-Woo Lee, M.S. Shin, Y. Kang, N.E. Lee, S.C. Jeon and I. Kang. The relationship of cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection with circulatory IFN-a levels and IL-7 receptor a expression on CD8+ T cells in human aging. 2012. Cytokine. 58:332-5.
34. Won-Woo Lee, N.E. Lee, H. Fujii and I. Kang. Active Hexose Correlated Compound promotes T helper (Th) 17 cell responses via inducing IL-1β production from monocytes in humans. 2012. Cellular Immunol. 275:19-23
35. Min Sun Shin, Y. Kang, N.E. Lee, S.H. Kim, K.S. Kang, R. Lazova and I. Kang. U1-snRNP activates the NLRP3 inflammasome in human monocytes. 2012. J. Immunol.188:4769-75
36. Seong Wook Kang, S.H. Kim, N.E. Lee , W.W. Lee, K.A. Hwang, , M.S. Shin, S.H. Lee, W.U. Kim and I. Kang. 1,25(OH)2 vitamin D3 promotes FOXP3 expression via binding to vitamin D response elements in its conserved non-coding sequence region. 2012. J. Immunol. 188:5276-82
37. Jung-Sik Kim, B.A. Cho, Sim JH, K. Shah, C.M. Woo, E.B. Lee, D.S. Lee, J.S. Kang, W.J. Lee, C.G. Park, J. Craft, I. Kang, H.R. Kim.IL-7Rαlow memory CD8+ T cells are significantly elevated in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. 2012. Rheumatology (Oxford). 51:1587-94.
38. Bon-A Cho, J.H. Sim, J.A. Park, H.W. Kim, W.H. Yoo, S.H. Lee, D.S. Lee, J.S. Kang, Y.I. Hwang, W.J. Lee, I. Kang, E.B. Lee, H.R. Kim. Characterization of effector memory CD8+ T cells in the synovial fluid of rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Immunol. 2012. 32:709-20.
39. Susanna Choi, H.R. Kim, .L Leng, I. Kang, W.L. Jorgensen, C.S. Cho, R. Bucala, and W.U. Kim. Role of Macrophage Migration Inhibitory Factor in the Regulatory T cell response of tumor-bearing Mice. J. Immunol. 2012. 189:3905-13
40. Min Sun Shin, J.S. Lee, N.E. Lee, S.H. Kim, I. Kang. Maintenance of CMV-specific CD8+ T cell responses and the relationship of IL-27 to IFN-g levels with aging. 2012. Cytokine. 61:485-90.
41. Min Sun Shin, Y. Kang, N.E. Lee, E.R. Wahl, S.H. Kim K.S. Kang, R. Lazova and I. Kang. Self dsDNA induces IL-1b production from human monocytes by activating NLRP3 inflammasome in the presence of anti-dsDNA antibodies. 2013. J. Immunol. 190:1407-15
42. Chai Siah Kua, T.X. Pham, Y. Park, B. Kim, M.S. Shin, I. Kang and J. Lee. Edible blue-green algae reduce the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines by inhibiting NF-κB pathway in macrophages and splenocytes. 2013. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - General Subjects. 1830:2981-2988.
43. N. Romberg, H. Morbach H, M.G. Lawrence, S. Kim, I. Kang, S.M. Holland, J.D. Milner, E. Meffre. Gain-of-function STAT1 mutations are associated with PD-L1 overexpression and a defect in B-cell survival. 2013. J Allergy Clin Immunol. S0091-6749(13)00061-4
44. David Saadoun, B. Terrier, Bannock J, T. Vazquez, C. Massad, I. Kang, F. Joly, M. Rosenzwajg, D. Sene, P. Benech, L. Musset, D. Klatzmann, E. Meffre, P. Cacoub. Expansion of Autoreactive Unresponsive CD21(-/low) B Cells in Sjögren's Syndrome-Associated Lymphoproliferation. 2013. Arthritis Rheum. 65:1085-96.
45. Ki Soo Kang, N.E. Lee, M.S. Shin, S.D. Kim, Y. Yua, S Mohantya, R.B. Belshed, R.R. Montgomerya, A.C. Shaw and I. Kang. An altered relationship of influenza vaccine-specific IgG responses with T cell immunity occurs with aging in humans. 2013. Clinical Immunol. 147:79-88
46. Naeun Lee, M.S. Shin, K.S. Kang, S.A. Yoo, S. Mohanty, R.R. Montgomery, A.C. Shaw and I. Kang. Human monocytes have increased IFN-γ-mediated IL-15 production with age alongside altered IFN-γ receptor signaling. Clinical Immunol. 152:101-110. PMCID: PMC4018768
Research Grant (PR093356) 07/01/10 - 07/31/13 (no cost extension to 6/2014)
Department of Defense $250,000/yr
Studying the role for CD4+ T cell subsets in human lupus
Insoo Kang is the PI. The major goal of the project is to determine the role for CD4+ T cell subsets in developing human lupus.
Research Grant (U19-AI082713) (Herold) 04/01/09 - 3/31/14
NIH/NIAID $187,207 (direct only)
Yale Autoimmunity Center of Excellence (program director: K. Herold) Project #1
Insoo Kang is the principal investigator for project #1: lymphoid neogenesis and CD4+ T cell differentiation in primary Sjögren’s syndrome. The major goal of the project is to define lymphoid neogenesis and CD4+ T cell differentiation in primary Sjögren’s syndrome.
Research Grant (1R01 AG028069) 09/01/07 - 06/30/12 (no cost extension to 6/30/13)
NIH/NIA $205,000/yr (direct only)
Aging and IL-7-mediated CD8+ T cell survival
Insoo Kang is the principal Investigator (PI). The major goal of this project is investigating the effect of aging on IL-7-mediated CD8+ T cell survival.
Research Grant (1R01 AI075157) 01/01/08 - 1/31/13
NIH/NIAID $250,000/yr (direct only)
Dissecting the role of IL-15 in CD8+ T cell homeostasis in human lupus
Insoo Kang was a co-principal investigator who equally contributes to the grant with the PI (Dr. Joe Craft). The major goal of the project was to dissect the role of IL-15 and CD8+ T cells in human lupus.
Research Grant (1R21 AT 005241) 09/01/09 – 08/31/12
Studying the effects of vitamin D on FOXP3 and IL-17 expression in human CD4+ T cells.
Insoo Kang was the PI. The major goal of the project is investigating how vitamin D affects the regulation of FOXP3 and IL-17 in human CD4+ T cells.
Research Grant (1R21 AG030834) 09/01/07 - 07/30/10
Investigating aging and membrane-associated T cell receptor signaling in human CD8+ T cell subsets
Insoo Kang was the principal Investigator. The major goal of this project is investigating the effect of aging on T cell signaling.
Clinical Scientist Development Award (K08) 07/01/04 - 07/31/10
Pathogen-specific T cell responses in patients with SLE
Insoo Kang was the principal investigator. The major goal of the project is to determine the mechanism for defective control of viral pathogens in SLE.
Arthritis Investigator Award 07/01/02 - 06/30/07
American College of Rheumatology $75,000/yr (direct only)
Viral Specific T cell responses in SLE
Insoo Kang was the principal Investigator. The major goal of this project was to determine EBV-specific T cells in patients with SLE.
Research Grant 07/01/05 - 06/30/07
American Federation for Aging Research $30,000/yr (direct only)
The effect of aging on IL-7-mediated CD8+ T cell survival
Insoo Kang was the principal investigator. The major goal of the project was to investigate the effect of aging on IL-7-mediated CD8+ T cell survival.
Research Grant 08/01/05 - 07/30/07
Yale Pepper Center $50,000/yr (direct only)
Aging and memory CD8+ T cell survival
Insoo Kang was the principal investigator. The major goal of the project was to dissect changes in memory CD8+ T cell survival with aging.
Research Grant 10/01/03 - 9/30/05
Lupus Foundation of America $25,000/yr (direct only)
Investigation of a defective control of latent EBV infection in lupus
Insoo Kang was the principal investigator. The major goal of the project was to determine the mechanism for defective control of latent EBV infection in SLE.
Pilot/Feasibility Grant 07/01/03-06/30/04
Yale Skin Disease Research Core Center $25,000/yr
Determination of the frequency of MIF gene polymorphism and cutaneous expression of MIF in patients with SLE
Insoo Kang was the principal investigator. The major goal of the project was to determine the role of MIF in SLE.
Yale Center for Aging and Hartford Foundation 07/01/02 - 06/30/04
Effect of aging and immunosuppression on influenza virus-specific CD4+ T cells in the elderly with rheumatoid arthritis
Insoo Kang was the principal investigator. The major goal of this pilot project was to establish tools for investigating effect of immunosuppressive drugs and aging on influenza virus-specific CD4+ T cell responses in elderly RA patients.
Arthritis Foundation (CT Chapter Grant) 7/01/00-6/30/03
Arthritis Foundation, Southern New England Chapter. $50,000/yr
Viral Specific Immune Responses in RA.
Insoo Kang was a co-investigator. The goal of this project was to identify and characterize EBV specific T cells in RA, before and after therapy.
Hallym Medical Center Research Grant 01/01/98 - 12/31/99
Determining the effect of IL-4 and dexamethasone on collagen-induced arthritis
Insoo Kang was the principal investigator.
Physician Scientist Development Award 07/01/95 - 08/31/97
Arthritis Foundation (AF)
Insoo Kang was a recipient of Physician Scientist Development Award from the AF.